Monday, November 24, 2008

No Climate Change Here...


Last week in my Dyad, John and I were asked to come up with a lesson plan dealing with Earth systems or catastrophic events to present to the class before we leave. Because most of my undergrad work here at UWB was focused upon the environment and environmental issues, I thought that doing a lesson on climate change would be a great opportunity to put some of those concepts and ideas that I had learned to use and present them to the class. My dyad teacher surprised me by saying that it was the one subject that we should avoid!

Apparently he has had a problem in the past with a student who didn’t like the way that my Dyad teacher taught the lesson (in a science class) and took it upon themselves to get their parent to try and get him fired over it. It really surprised me that something that is really scientific knowledge, something Al Gore received a Nobel prize for, would be something that he would not allow to be taught in his class because of a past run in with a difficult parent.

It seems to me that as a science teacher your role is to simply present the facts, and the controversy is best left for others. I just thought that this was a strange thing that happened and that I’d share.

1 comment:

MHG said...

Whoa! That sounds pretty ridiculous.